Middle Eastern "Minestrone"
Fall is around the corner... I can feel it. As long as I adore summer, I also love to sip on a good soup when it's cold outside (side note: I also love to do it when it's 35 degrees but that's another story...).
I was sick for most of the last two weeks and I have been sipping on broth and soup like crazy. It made me rethink and try some new recipe!
This soup is one of them. A healthy, gut-happy, immune-system-happy, Justine-happy soup!
* original recipe and picture from Feasting at Home
1 L (4 cups) Tata Soupe Indian broth
500 ml (2 cups) water
1/2 cup basmati rice (dry) or quinoa (or 1 1/2 cup cooked, idem for quinoa)
1/2 cup dry green or brown lentils (or 1 cup cooked)
1 cup cooked chickpeas (or canned, drained and rinsed)
1 or 2 tomatoes, diced
Half a lemon or lime, juiced
Cilantro as garnish
- In a large pot, heat broth and water over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer
- Add rice and lentils, cover and lower the heat. Let it cook for 15 minutes (add water if needed)
- Once rice and lentils are cooked, add the chickpeas, tomatoes and the lemon juice, stir well and let it heat uncovered
- Serve in bowls and garnish with cilantro, enjoy!